How Music Helped a Local Artist Overcome Addiction

 How Music Helped a Local Artist Overcome Addiction

Article Written: August 5, 2023 at 4:38 PM

This is a story of how a small East Erie rapper used his music to overcome addiction and help shape him into the man he is today. 18 year old, Kyle Baker, who also goes by Shober by many of his friends and locals, is a aspiring rapper and artist from East Erie who always had a hard life growing up. “My mom wasn’t real good with dating and happen to get into relationships where she was physically getting abused, the man she is with now she’s been with for five years and I love him and he obviously cares about us.” says Kyle. Kyle grew up in East Erie in the Southeast Erie neighborhood, hanging out with his cousin who he considers to be very close with and visiting him along with his grandmother in Burton, while Kyle lived just a couple neighborhoods over in Southeast Erie where he still lives in today. Baker stated before he turned to music, he was going through a death of a family member. “My older brother Chris died of suicide in 2019 when I was 14 years old, his death affected me extremely and caused me to get myself involved with bad people and got myself hooked on a lot of drugs, mostly cocaine and acid.” Kyle began writing songs in 2020 as a way of venting about his drug addiction at the time, he began relationships with new friends and old friends he kept in touch with in Elementary School to take off his starting interest in rap and electronic music, he would post these songs on websites like SoundCloud and Spotify where they soon began to take off mostly locally and also internationally. “The more I began writing songs the more I realized this is what I love doing, I began going to rehab in 2022 where I got clean and have been going on a year sober now, the only thing I’m trying to work on now is to quit smoking and get myself more healthier when I’m young so I don’t gotta worry about problems when I’m older” says Kyle. Kyle says he is looking forward to his performance at the Basement Transmissions in Erie on Friday August 18th with his fellow music artist friends like Dylan Wallace (Razi) of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Tyler Weyand (Draff) of Wesleyville, Noah Gimbal (4thWard) of Lawrence Park, Kevin Sornberger (37th&Tuttle) of East Erie and Zack Miller (Goth Creek Boyz) of Harborcreek Township.

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Lawrence Park Woman Found Dead at Local Golf Course

No Confirmation of Body Found in Lawrence Park is of Missing Lawrence Park Woman

Child Development Centers Offers Affordable Childhood Education for Low Income Families